We are no longer accepting Business Applications.
Hendry County has secured $7.5 million in funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. An immediate $1.8 million was allocated for efforts and programs to serve all Hendry residents impacted by the devastating effects of COVID-19.
CARES Program assistance, through Hendry County, will be used for those who have been directly affected by COVID-19.
The funding will be used to pay past-due utility, lease, and mortgage bills and possible workforce development opportunities. Residents who have been affected by COVID-19 will be assisted through Hendry County programs.
What is the deadline for Business and Individual applications?
The deadline for Business applications ended November 30, 2020. The deadline for Individual applications was extended through Tuesday, December 15th, 2020.
Individual Assistance Program Questions
What services qualify for individual assistance?
Rent payments, mortgage payments, water utility and electric utility qualify for assistance payments that were incurred between March 1, and December 30, 2020. Workforce Development Assistance is also available.
Who is eligible for assistance?
Household income must be between $15,000 and $93,773 per year at time of application, depending on household size. The applicant must have experienced an unexpected loss of income due to impacts of COVID-19 including job loss or reduced work hours. The applicant must also be a Hendry County Resident.
To be eligible for this assistance program applicants must:
• be a resident of Hendry County;
Applicants can only receive assistance once, but may apply for multiple services. All assistance must be applied for at same time. Other restrictions may apply.
Assistance will be provided only for past due rents, mortgages, and/or utilities. The due dates must be after March 1, and before December 30.
Applications must be submitted through the Hendry CARES online portal. To apply, visit www.HendryCARES.com.
How does my landlord or mortgage company become a ‘vendor’ to receive payment?
The vendor will be contacted upon application review; applicants are required to provide vendor contact information, including account information.
How will I receive my assistance?
Payments for assistance will be made directly to the vendor.
Can part-time residents apply for assistance?
Applicant must be a Hendry County resident.
What determines the amount of assistance I can receive?
The maximum assistance is $5,000 per household. Individuals will be awarded one-time assistance based on their specific documented needs, such as utility bills or overdue rent, that have accumulated due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. You will be required to provide documentation of these needs.
Is funding first-come, first-served for Individual Assistance?
Funding is allocated to those who meet the eligibility criteria and submit completed documents for approval. Financial assistance will be given to qualified applicants until relief funds are exhausted, or at Hendry County's discretion.
Business Grant Program Questions
What is the purpose of the HendryCARES Business Grant?
The HendryCARES Business Grant offers emergency relief to small businesses facing financial loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of these funds is to provide temporary financial relief to those impacted by the pandemic and resulting business closures.
Do non-profit organizations qualify for the business program?
Yes. Qualifying businesses and 501(c)(3) organizations with a physical commercial location in Hendry County.
What can I use these funds to pay for?
Funds can be used to reimburse the costs of business interruption caused by required closures. Grant funding can be used for business expenses, such as employees' wages, mortgage, rent, vendor invoices, utility bills, payroll and other costs, as long as these expenses are not paid for by insurance or another federal assistance program.
These grants aim to provide gap funding to allow businesses to seek additional assistance offered through state and federal programs for other losses not covered by this grant. Visit www.hendrycares.com for resources.
How much funding is available for Hendry County businesses?
Hendry County has set aside emergency relief funds for eligible businesses to each receive a maximum one-time grant of up to $20,000. This $20,000 is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
This grant amount will be based upon the size of your business.
<25 employees= $10,000; 26-50 employees=$15,000 and > 50 employees=$20,000.
My business is located in Hendry County, but I am not a resident of Hendry County, am I eligible?
The business owner does not have to be a resident of Hendry County, FL.
Is funding first-come, first-served for the Business Grant Program?
Complete applications with all required documentation will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Who is eligible for Assistance through HENDRY CARES?
Any resident in Hendry County, including those residing in Labelle, Clewiston and unincorporated areas who have seen a reduction in or loss of wages resulting from layoff or lessening of hours due to COVID-19.
How do I apply for assistance?
You can apply online (HendryCARES.com) or call (863) 674-5490 to speak with an eligibility specialist who will provide details on the virtual process and connect you with services. The call center is open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
If I've received assistance from Social Services in the past, can I still apply?
If you have received assistance from Social Services within the past year, you are still eligible to apply for services.
What does the assistance pay for?
It will be used to pay past-due utility bills and/or rent/mortgage payments in the name of the person applying for assistance. For instance, if the electric bill is in your spouse's name, your spouse must be the one to apply for program assistance. Workforce Development Assistance is also available.
What documents do I need to apply for assistance?
You will need the following paperwork when applying for individual assistance:
- Past-due bill in applicant's name (Utility assistance)
- Valid rent agreement in applicant's name (Rent assistance)
- Past-due notice in applicant's name (Rent assistance)
- Mortgage statement (Mortgage assistance)
- Letter from employer regarding reduction in or loss of wage
- Last pay stub
- Bank statement or document to verify liquid assets (asset limit applies)
- A liquid asset is an asset that can easily be converted into cash in a short amount of time
- Valid Driver's License with current address
- Proof of Hendry County residency
- Hendry County voter registration card
- Vehicle registration with a Hendry County address
- Current public school enrollment in Hendry County
You will need the following paperwork when applying for Business assistance:
- A copy or picture of each owner's photo ID
- A copy of the Federal Tax Identification Number
- A copy of an "active" state business registration from the Florida Division of Corporations or a Hendry County Business Tax Receipt.
- Go to this website https://www.dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/search/ , search by Entity Name using full legal business name, select listing with "active" status and attach most recent filling.
- For Businesses not required by law to register with the Florida Division of Corporations, attach documentation showing the business was operating prior to January 1, 2020 and meets all applicable regulatory requirements from Hendry County or the municipality in which it is located in Hendry County. Hendry County Tax Collectors website: https://www.hendrycountytc.com
- A completed and signed IRS W-9 form. The Mailing Address must match your business registration and entries in the General Information Section.
- You may get a blank form on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf
- For businesses with two or more employees, a copy of any of the following: Most recent 12/31/2019 Form 1098, W3 summary or IRS Form 941 showing the number of employees prior to January 1, 2020. Forms dated 12/31/19 or 3/31/19 are acceptable (Check with your payroll processor).
- Most current federal tax return.
You will need the following paperwork when applying for Workforce Development:
- Invoice and application for requested certification program.
If I'm approved for assistance, how long will it take to pay my bill?
Every request is unique and will depend on the bill and organization that needs to be paid. (Your eligibility specialist will be able to provide you more details during your consultation.)
When can I apply for these programs?
The Hendry CARES programs will begin accepting applications at 9 a.m. Monday August 3, 2020. You can apply online by visiting this webpage (HendryCARES.com) or call (863) 674-5490 for assistance.
Where did this funding come from?
These funds come from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and Florida Housing Finance Corporation Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF). Congress designated a portion of funds to go to local governments to meet urgent financial needs within communities.
Can I apply for more than one of the programs?
You may apply to all the programs for which you meet the eligibility criteria.
How long is the application review process?
Businesses can expect to receive grant funds after payment processing and due diligence has been completed.
When will assistance be distributed?
Funds will be distributed upon approved submitted application review.
If your application has been rejected due to being incomplete?
You may resubmit required documentation in a timely manner.
If your application is denied?
If you feel the denial was in error please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns and we will review.
What is the deadline for Business and Individual applications?
The deadline for Business and Individual applications is November 30, 2020