History of the Fort Denaud Bridge
The Fort Denaud Bride is a vital link between residents and agricultural operations on both sides of the Caloosahatchee River. The existing bridge was previously used on the Intercoastal Waterway in Pompano Beach and was moved to its current location to replace a bridge that had been located a few yards upstream but had been condemned and removed in the early 1960's. New construction began in 1963 and was soon completed to open the Fort Denaud Bridge for use. It is located near the site of the first outpost of U.S. Civilization in Southwest Florida and named for Pierre Denaud, a French Canadian trapper who trapped, hunted and traded in the area during the 1830's. The bridge and its current approach stands were put into place at mile 108.2 along route 78A in the early '60's and there it has remained to become one of the remaining swing bridges in the state of Florida's extensive waterway system.